Melanoma and Me

A magical journey through a world of scalpels, stitches, radiation bombardment, gnomes, and hopefully hershey's kisses. Do you hear me? Hersheys. Kisses.

Monday, February 20, 2006

First Post

Hi, my name is Kyle.

I might have melanoma, that's a funny word. Try to say it out loud, malanoma. Doesn't it sound funny? I appologize, I digress. Probably not a good sign on my first blog entry in my entire life, but I shall push onwards.

Let me start from the begining. I grew up sailing, it was a great time notable largely for the lack of sunscreen reapplications. These gave rise to mis-shapen, mis-colored moles on my back that I made a point of ignoring. This happy state of affairs led me to a few days ago.

So a few days ago I wake up and my sheets are covered in blood. My first thought was one of great relief, "Awesome! I finally got my period, I must not be pregnant!" A seccond later I realized that I'm actually a dude. I'm not good in the mornings. My seccond thought was that I offended karma with my recent purchase of 800 thread count Egyptian Cotton sheets. It decided to punish me by bleeding all over them. But I love those sheets! They're so comfortable!

Anyways, after looking in the mirror I realize that my Quasimodo-esque moles actually decided that February was a good month to bleed. So this is where I do something completely out of character. I call the doctor.

Fast forward to today. My doctor's name is Martin. He's a very nice African gentleman that I have trouble understanding. He looks at my back, pokes, asks if the moles sting (they do), and then says, "Don't worry, you have many moles, and they appear to be melanoma, You need biopsy as soon as possible." I too was jolted by the apparently misplaced "don't worry." But Martin is a nice guy and English is not his first language.

So now I'm here. I get a biopsy next Wednesday. I've decided to reccord my journey through this space. Hopefully this is a very short-lived blog. But if not, this is where you come for updates. And maybe some cartoons, but I'm not sure about that yet. Do you think the dude who writes Foxtrot would let me post some of his cartoons? Neither do I, oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home